2022 Gold Coast tour of Homes

“A Gold Coast Welcome”
After a four-year hiatus, Davenport’s Gold Coast/Hamburg Historic District Home Tour returns, September 17th & 18th, 2022.
The Gold Coast-Hamburg Historic District offers visitors a hearty “Welcome Back!” during its upcoming 2022 home tour.
Five homes will be open for view during the 2022 Gold Coast – Hamburg Historic District Home Tour. Examples of various architectural styles popular between the 1850s and the early 20th Century, such as Italian Villa, Queen Anne, Four Square, and Vernacular houses large and small and spanning seven decades of the neighborhood’s history, will open their doors to visitors. Three have never been on the Gold Coast tour. Several were once in danger of demolition. One was moved from its original location. Each combine original features with their current owners’ contemporary tastes.
Tour goers will learn the stories of the people who built them and the challenges the buildings have faced. Again this year, two buildings that were brought back from vacant/deteriorated condition, the 1861 German American Heritage Center/Miller Hotel and the 1868/1878 Jipp Home & Grocery, will welcome visitors during the tour.
The Hamburg Historic District, known popularly as “The Gold Coast,” was listed in the National Register in the 1980s. It was home to many successful German immigrant families who helped fuel the economic might of 19th century Davenport. By the 1930s, many of the homes had been divided into multi-unit rentals; the area entered a long decline. In the 1980s, new owners began rescuing vacant properties, restoring the buildings and returning many to single family homes. Today, engaged residents make it one of the city’s most vibrant neighborhoods. In 2011, it was the first neighborhood in Iowa to be named a “Great Place” by the American Planning Association.
Dates: Saturday and Sunday, September 17th and 18th, 12N – 4PM.
Tickets: Adults $15.00. Children under 12 free when accompanied by an adult. Tickets for sale at all tour homes and the German American Heritage Center and the Jipp Home & Grocery on day of tour.
Transportation and Parking: Ample parking is available along all neighborhood streets and in the parking lot on the north side of 5th Street between Western Avenue and Scott Street. Limited shuttle service will be available, beginning from the parking lot, and circulating through the neighborhood during tour hours.
For more information contact:
Sara Bartholomew sbartholomew@mchsi.com 563-322-8911
Marion Meginnis marion_meginnis@msn.com 563-326-3290

510 W. 6th Street – The Lambrite-Iles-Petersen Home (1857) This home, with work incomplete, was included on the 2018 tour. Since then, the home’s stunning fresco wall paintings have undergone professional restoration to a very high standard. Work has also been completed to return the home’s front porch to its original look. The house was designed by 23-year-old architect John Cochrane for lumber manufacturer Joseph Lambrite. It was the first independent design of his career. Cochrane went on to design both Illinois and Iowa Capitols. After falling into disrepair, the home was purchased by the city of Davenport and sold to new owners. For their efforts, the Stone family received the 2022 William J. Wagner Award from the Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs.

421 W. 6th Street – The Frank Mueller Home (1893) The Mueller Home was built for newlyweds Frank and Malvina Lischer Mueller. The house is one of five Mueller houses standing in a row along the south side of W. 6th Street. The house, once converted to 11 apartments, was in severely deteriorated condition and was in danger of immediate demolition. Since then, it passed through the hands of several owners. The current owner has undertaken significant structural restoration and exterior painting. Work on the interior continues. First time on tour.

723 Brown Street – The Karlowa/Rohwedder Home (1889) Emilie Krause Karlowa had strong ties to early mercantile/industrial entrepreneurial families. The house was a wedding present from her father. Later owner Otto Rohwedder perfected and patented his automatic bread slicer while living in the home. Current residents are celebrating their 30th anniversary of ownership this year. During that time, they have lovingly and meticulously peeled away later, incompatible changes to reveal and restore original interior and exterior elements. Personal additions include a chef’s kitchen, a carriage house, and a rear patio.

831 W. 8th Street – The Braunlich Home (1911) At the time of its construction, this American Four Square reflected the move away from more elaborate, Victorian architecture to a Craftsman aesthetic. The home combines its current owner’s love of historic detail with a hip, young design vibe. First time on tour.

411 W. 8th Street – The Sweeney/Holcomb Home (1906/1907) This petite home once faced Ripley street and likely was constructed as a rental house for owners of another, older home on the same parcel at W. 8th and Ripley Streets. The home was severely deteriorated by 2009. Neighbors lobbied the city to move the property to vacant lots around the corner. The move was completed in 2011 and the house restored in 2012. First time on tour.

712 W. 2nd Street – The German-American Heritage Center (1862/77) The German American Heritage Center began life in 1862 as the William Tell House, a “Gasthaus” or guest house, built to accommodate thousands of immigrants who arrived in the area during the great migration after the Civil War. It operated under various names including Germania House, the Miller Hotel and the Standard Hotel; it closed in 1990. In 1994, the German American Heritage Center was incorporated with representatives from various local German-American, historical and genealogical organizations. A restroom is available for tour guests.

732 Gaines Street – The Jipp Home and Grocery (1868/1878) The store was constructed for Christian H. H. Jipp in 1868 and served as his work place and home to the Jipp family for ten years. In 1878, he built the attached two-story house. The building now houses the Architectural Rescue Shop, operated by Gateway Redevelopment Group, as well as the history room for the Gold Coast. A restroom is available for tour guests.